Besides its beautiful scenery, the region around the Nature Park also offers a large number of attractions and destinations:
Esch-sur-Sûre Cloth Factory
The old cloth factory was converted into the Nature Park Centre in 1992 and ever since then has housed the reception centre with an interactive exhibition about the Nature Park, a shop selling regional products and a museum showing how wool was processed into cloth (spinning, weaving and finishing).
The old craft traditions of the region are preserved in accordance with one of the aims of the Upper Sûre Nature Park. The history of weaving in Esch-sur-Sûre goes back to the 16th century inasmuch its origins coincide with the invention of the first wool processing machinery. Martin Schoetter-Greisch set up a fulling machine in 1807 and installed the first spinning machine 10 years later. The factory was enlarged in 1866 to allow all the operations that make up cloth production to be carried out. The carefully restored wool-processing machines can thus still be seen in the cloth factory and are operated during guided tours (on request).
01. april - 31. october: daily except Wednesdays 10 a.m. – midday and 2 p.m. – 6 p.m., Saturday, Sundays and public holidays 2 p.m. – 6 p.m.
01. november - 31. mars: daily except Wednesdays 10 a.m. – midday and 2 p.m. – 5 p.m., Saturday, Sundays and public holidays 2 p.m. – 5 p.m.
Children and young adults(< 21 years): FREE, Adults: € 3, groups of 5 or more: € 2, guided tour (on request, approx. 1.5 hours): € 65
Nature Park Centre
15, rue de Lultzhausen
Phone: +352 89 93 31 –1
Textile exhibitions take place at regular intervals in the cloth factory, combining traditional trades with modern art and crafts.
The old machines are still used to produce wool-products. You can buy them in the shop of the museum.
The Upper Sûre Reservoir constitutes Luxembourg's largest drinking water reservoir. The "Syndicat des Eaux du Barrage d'Esch-sur-Sûre" (water syndicate of the Esch-sur-Sûre dam), SEBES was founded in 1962. Its duties consist in processing the raw water from the reservoir into drinking water and subsequently supplying this to the distribution networks of the various communes. Today around 70% of Luxembourg's population are supplied with SEBES water in varying quantities.
Groups (10 – 40 people) can visit the processing facilities on a 2-hour tour (advance booking necessary). The tour is divided into three stages: a DVD presentation (D, EN, F, L), a guided tour with explanations and a visit to the processing facilities.
Phone: +352 83 95 91 –1
Burfelt Forest Discovery Centre
Burfelt encourages interest in the countryside, in particular the forest in many ways. To this end the Luxembourg Nature and Forestry administration has set up a forest discovery centre in a farm dating back to the 18th century, where interactive elements allow visitors to experience nature, independently and at their own pace. Furthermore, an extensive adventure trail invites visitors to discover indigenous flora and fauna.
The centre will be glad to organise and perform guided natural history tours and outdoor environmental educational activities with you on request.
15 June – 15 September: daily except Mondays 1 p.m. – 5.30 p.m.
16 September – 1 November: Sundays only 1 p.m. – 5.30 p.m.
Heiderscheid Candle Factory
The candle factory has revived the tradition of candle-making by hand. Group visits are possible if arranged in advance.
Monday – Friday: 9 a.m. – midday and 1 p.m. – 6 p.m.
Saturday: 9 a.m. – midday and 1 p.m. – 5 p.m.
Phone: +352 89 91 97
Fax: +352 83 98 90
Heiderscheid High Ropes Course (Fuussekaul)
The eight-metre high ropes course offers all groups, clubs, associations and businesses with a thirst for adventure the possibility to challenge their limits. 13 elements, 10 of which at airy heights and 3 on the ground, are situated in an idyllic woodland near Heiderscheid.
Wednesday to Sunday
For price list and further information please contact:
Paul Mainz / Klammschoul Project Leader
FORUM POUR L'EMPLOI a.s.b.l.
20, route d'Ettelbruck
Phone: (+352) - 80 48 85 – 41
Fax: (+352) - 80 75 23
The striking centre of Esch-sur-Sûre is formed by the ruins of a castle the origins of which date back to 927 and which saw a great deal of activity right up to the French Revolution. The first famous knights of the House of Esch were the brothers Henry I and Godfrey I, who served at the side of Godfrey of Bouillon in the First Crusade. Later lords of Esch-sur-Sûre were among the most influential advisers to the Counts of Luxembourg. Today the ruins provide a refuge to a wide variety of animals and plants. The grounds around the keep and the watchtower (called 'Lochturm') are accessible to ramblers and other visitors and are well worth the climb for the view.
Churches and Chapels
Several very old places of worship are located in the Upper Sûre Nature Park such as the Saint Pirmin Chapel in Kaundorf, which dates back to the 8th century and which was visited by Saint Pirmin.
The old Church of Saint Martin in Bavigne in its current form dates back to 1774 while the tower was built in the Middle Ages. It is surrounded by on ancient cemetery with slate crosses. The wonderful main altar by the famous carpenter and sculptor Nicolas Jacques from Wiltz was completed in 1774.
Many legends are associated with the Sainte Croix chapel (Lochkapelle) in Esch-sur-Sûre. The Gothic Calvary group carved from lime wood inside the chapel is one of the most important treasures in Luxembourg's cultural heritage.
If you are planning to spend several days in the Upper Sûre Nature Park – whether as a family, school class or tour group – we will be delighted to help you put together a varied programme of unforgettable leisure activities that concentrates on revealing to you the natural hustle and bustle of the forest, meadows and the lake and showing you the special historic features of our region.